A few nights ago, a small group of educators who really inspire me, from across the spectrums of schooling/unschooling and popular education/political education, met to share a little piece of our stories with each other. We ended up generating a fantastic list of big questions that we have been sitting with. Here is just a sampling I’d like to share:
- What does a pedagogy for building social movements look like?
- What projects currently exist that reflect transformative education?
- What is education? Where are the edges? What is the learning ecology we are aspiring to?
- What do we need to unlearn in order to support the diversification of our learning landscapes?
- How do we promote systemic change/transformation? What are the vehicles or catalyzing forces? What is the role of schools?
- What are examples of where mind/spirit/mind/body are effectively being engaged in the Bay?
- What opportunities exist for intergenerational learning? Popular education? Community-based learning?
- How do we transition schools from where they are to where we want and need for them to be?
- Where do we want to be?
- What are relevant skills to be learning in the 21st century? What are relevant competencies?
- What’s the context we’re living in right now?
- What other kinds of educational spaces are we aware of/envisioning?
- What’s working?
- What are our assumptions about what works and what doesn’t?
- What’s the role of “degrees”? What are alternative pathways of learning/skill-building/credentialing?
- What is at the intersections of economies and education?
- What is the role of place (people, land, local economies) in developing an educational pedagogy?
Coming upUPCOMING EVENTS
Currently none scheduled
April 28, 6:30 PM PRESENTATION: Action Research Community Reception and Recognition, AERA conference. In the Grand Ballroom East, Grand Hyatt, San Francisco
Oct 6,7 WORKSHOP: Theater of the Oppressed 101 at the Center for Political Education, San Francisco. A follow up to Popular Education 101.
May 16,23 WORKSHOP: Participatory Action Research for educators and organizers at the Center for Political Education, San Francisco. Registration is open here: www.politicaleducation.org
June 3 WORKSHOP: From Forum to Action; Participatory Action Research grounded in Theater of the Oppressed At the Pedagogy and Theater of the Oppressed Conference, Berkeley. Register here: http://www.ptoweb.org/
dates tbd, 11:00-5:00 April 28-31 WORKSHOP: "Practices in Youth-Led and Theater-Based Participatory Action Research" & PRESENTATION: Youth-Led Action Research to Heal the Streets 9th Annual Action Research Conference at the UCSD’s School of Leadership and Education Sciences San Diego, CA
March 28-31 WORKSHOP: "Exploring the Intersections of Whiteness and Femaleness" White Privilege Conference Albuquerque, NM
Feb 21, 6:00-9:00pm White Noise Dialogue to explore why so many people socialized as white and female are in helping professions. San Francisco.
Feb 27 & March 3, 11:00-5:00 WORKSHOP: Popular Education 101: Theories and Practices for organizers. At the Center for Political Education, San Francisco. A remixed and re-offered version of Paulo Freire 101 offered last Spring.
Oct 15, 10:30-12:00 Neighborhood Safety Summit, Laney College, Oakland. Last year's Heal the Streets youth fellows and OPD officers will talk about their mistrust of each other, and what to do about it.
Oct 18, 6:00-9:00 White Noise monthly dialogue, San Francisco. People socialized as both white and female talk about Cultural Appropriation www.conspireforchange.org
July 21 Chicago, IL, PTO conference Workshop: Harvesting Knowledge for Collective Action: Youth-Led Participatory Action Research at the Pedagogy and Theater of the Oppressed Conference
July 23, 24, 30, 31 @ 4pm San Juan Bautista, El Teatro Campesino Free Performance: Popol Vuh, Heart of Heaven
August 4-7, 2011 Portland, OR, Aero Conference 2 Workshops: Participatory Theater for Educators & Youth-Adult Partnerships: Practicing Youth-Led Participatory Action Research
September 3, 4, 5 @ 1pm San Juan Bautista, El Teatro Campesino Free Performance:Popol Vuh: Heart of Heaven, Seven Macaw & the Magic Twins